Sunday, October 18, 2009

Halloween Party

Everything that happened was still a blur as I tried remembering exactly what happened. But one thing I could see as clear as the blue sky was his face. The way he looked so calm yet tried to force the fear from showing in his eyes. Then there was the feeling I remember feeling so well; the feeling of pure terror, regret, and pain.

It was coming close to Halloween and all my friends were talking about the party at Kenya Hill’s house. It was supposed to be the biggest and scariest party ever thrown in the high school. I was surprised when Kenya herself came up to me just then, smiled and gave me an invitation. I looked down at the haunted house shaped piece of paper. It read:

You are invited to Kenya Hill’s scariest party ever thrown
Place: Kenya Hill’s house
Time: 9:00p.m.
Date: Sat. Oct. 31st
RSVP: 673-984-2175
Wear a costume it can be anything, there is going to be a best, scariest, cutest, silliest, and most creative costume contest!!

I jumped and stuffed the invitation in my bag as the warning bell rang. I ran to first block and was in the door by the time the late bell rang. I sat down next to my best friend Trenton Frye. He’s been my best friend since last year but I feel like I’ve known him my whole life.
I turned to him then and he smiled at me. “Hey, what were you doing?” he smiled again and gave me a hug. “Oh, Kenya gave me an invitation to her party and I was reading it.” I said a bit confused but also felt embarrassed because I could feel my cheeks turning red. “Hey, that’s great! Now we can go together.” I looked at him and smiled I turned in my seat as class began, Biology.
By the time we took notes and finished our in-class work, we still had about 20 minutes of extra time so Mrs. Bryant let us talk quietly. I turned in my seat to face Trenton again. He was drawing something. I leaned on him my cheek leaning on his shoulder and looked down at the drawing. It was his costume. “You’re making your costume home made?” “Yeah, I wanted to try and win the most creative costume.” He smiled and went back to his drawing. He was really good at drawing and being creative so he shouldn’t have any problem winning. I sat back in my chair and thought about the costume I wanted to wear. I mean Halloween was this Saturday and it was just so short notice for me.
The bell rang for second block. Trenton and I walked together to his second block. “So how are you going to get the materials for your costume?” I looked at him as I walked. “I dunno, I guess from other costumes from past Halloween’s.” “That’s a good way to recycle; hey I’ll go to a couple of thrift stores and see what I can find.” “Aww, come on Jamie, you don’t have to do that for me.” But I could tell in his voice and facial expression that he was grateful for it. I smiled and hugged him. “I’ll see you at lunch.” He waved and I ran the rest the way to Chorus.

Chorus and Geometry part one went by really fast. The bell rang for C lunch and I gathered my stuff up and went to the lunch table that I normally sat at with Trenton, Laurent, this real quiet kid Andy and me. I spotted our normal table and started to walk a little fast. I finally got there and sat next to Trenton. “Hey guys, what’s up?” “Hey Jamie, nothing much just talking about the party.” Laurent said with his to die for smile. I had a real big crush on Laurent so I smiled back and started to fidget with my hands under the table. “Cool, can you believe I got invited, I mean come on, no one ever invites me to parties.” Trenton was smiling uncontrollably and stuck his hand over his mouth to try and hide it. I turned my attention on him. “Why are you so smiley all of a sudden?” then it hit me, “You convinced Kenya to invite me didn’t you?!” he nodded his head. I nearly knocked him off his chair as I attacked him in a hug. “Oh my gosh thank you!! What would I ever do without you?!” I gave him my best bear hug I could do. “Can’t…breathe.” I let go and now I was smiling uncontrollably.
We talked about the party and what we were thinking about what costume to wear. The bell rang signaling lunch was over and Laurent, Trenton and I walked upstairs. Trenton had to go down a separate hall way then Laurent and I so we said bye and he and I walked the short distance to our class. We normally don’t talk unless I try to ask a question but normally I’m too scared to ask him anything and too nervous to find words to talk to him so I just kept my mouth shut most of the time when I’m near him. We reached his class and he said bye, I said bye back and gave a small wave and walked down the hall made a turn and walked to my last block, English.
The whole class period I thought about nothing but the party and how I was going to get a costume or what costume I was going to wear. By the time the final bell rang for school to be let out I gathered my belonging and went to find Laurent. I found him and we walked down the stairs to his bus. He normally doesn’t stay very long outside because he wants to get a good seat on the bus. We reached his bus and said bye. I then went to find Trenton.
Trenton was standing right outside in front of the bus; I walked up to him and hugged him. He smiled and returned the hug. We got on the bus and sat next to each other. We picked up where we left off at lunch about our costumes and talked until the bus came to my stop. I got off and waved to Trenton checked the mail and walked up my semi-steep driveway.

I gave my mom a hug asked her how her day was told her mine was fine and went upstairs to my room. I got on my laptop and checked my email. Then I searched for Halloween costumes. When I got bored with that I grabbed my wallet and checked to see how much was in it; $30. “Good enough” I said and went downstairs. I grabbed my jacket out of the closet and told my mom I was walking over to the nearby thrift store to find stuff for mine and Trenton’s costume. “Okay, just be home by 5.” I kissed her on her cheek and walked out the door.
The thrift store always had good stuff, especially during the Holidays. I looked at cloths and the different Halloween items they had put out. I finally got a nice black dress, a bat necklace with the eyes as red ruby’s and picked up some different fabrics I thought Trenton might like. I paid for my stuff and walked back home.
I decided I wanted to be a vampire. I put the stuff for Trenton in my bag and put my stuff up in my closet ‘til I needed it. Halloween was only 3 days away so I was starting to get excited but felt nervous at the same time. This would be the biggest Halloween party ever. Everyone would be there. My eyes started to get heavy so I changed into some shorts and a tee shirt and covered up in my blanket. I fell asleep quickly that night and slept the whole night. When I got up to the annoying racket they called an alarm I dressed in a black shirt and dark blue jeans, slipped on my converses and went down stairs to grab a doughnut for breakfast. I brushed my teeth, made coffee for my mom and was out the door.

The school day was fast but so was the rest of the week. It was Saturday afternoon and I was getting ready for the party. I slipped on the dress and black leggings my black flats and put on some black lipstick. I applied some fake blood to my mouth and did my hair. I put on a thick layer of eye liner and put some a thin layer of white face paint on so it made me look paler than I already was. I looked in the mirror at an hour in a half’s work. I looked pretty good. I put the necklace on and then I heard the door bell ring. I went down stairs and found Laurent and Trenton on my door step. “Wow Jamie, you look good.” Said Laurent, I must of blushed a hundred shades of red because Trenton started laughing at me. I punched him in the arm. Laurent was one of the Halo dudes off the X-box game and Trenton was this way cool zombie thing. I complemented on both their costumes. “Mom, I’ll be home around one okay?” she said that was fine and to have fun. So I shut the door and the three of us got in Laurent’s car and went to the party.

Kenya lived in a big house on top of a huge hill; she also lived quite a distance from my house. So we talked about what kinds of things might be at the party that would make it so scary and the rumors we heard about what might be at the party.
It was around 8:53p.m. by the time we were going up the really cool mansion driveway. Kenya’s house looked amazing from the outside. Tomb stones and skeletons, fog machines and spider webs, and really creepy/scary music playing; we parked where some cars were already parked and got out. All three of us walked up to the front porch steps and rang the bell. It was a really scary screech, Kenya came to the door as a black cat and open the door for us she welcomed us and we came in and joined everyone in the main part of her house.
The inside of the house looked more amazing then the outside of the house. With fake blood splattered on the wall more spider webs, skeletons and a really wide variety of Halloween food. More people showed up by the minute and the party really got going. Someone put on the music and there was even a DJ with a DJ booth. Everyone was dancing and having a good time talking and laughing everything was great.
Well I couldn’t help myself Laurent asked me to dance, I looked a bit surprised but he smiled and took my hand and we danced to almost every song. Finally I needed to take a breather. I told Laurent I would be by the drinks and stuff if he needed me he kissed me on my cheek then. “Take your time.” He smiled at me. I didn’t know what to say so I walked away, my eyes as big as an owl’s. I got to the punch table and saw Trenton standing alone sipping at a cup. I walked over to him half dazed and real smiley. “Why are you so happy?” he sounded really depressed and somewhat mad. “Hey, what’s wrong?” I was now concerned. “Not once.” “What? I can’t understand you the music is too loud.” I leaned closer to him and then he finally looked up at me, he had tears in his eyes but it looked like he was on the verge of punching someone. “Not once did you ask me to dance and not once did you even ask to talk or spend time with me. You were much too busy dancing and hanging out with Laurent!” he looked angry now, the tears where gone. I looked at him surprised, but before I could open my mouth he continued to yell at me. “I saw what he did too, he kissed you on your cheek, he knew I liked you, he knew I was going to ask you out tonight.” His hands were in fist and his face was turning real red he was screaming now, but no one noticed because of how loud the music was. I looked at him my best friend; I must have started to cry because I felt wetness on my cheek. But I wiped them away quickly and felt the anger boiling up inside of myself. “If you liked me so much why did it take you so long to ask me to dance, why didn’t you just walk up to Laurent and pull him aside, if you liked me so much you should have told me sooner!!” I shot back the tears flowing now. “I can’t believe you’re mad at me, for something I didn’t know about for something I didn’t know!! You are or I thought you were my best friend!” “Well I guess I made a mistake in liking you because that’s all you see me as, as long as we’ve been friends I thought you might of got the hint!!” he yelled back throwing his fist up in the air. “Trenton I can’t believe you! If you’re going to be like this because you were too scared to ask me out then fine I guess you’re not the friend I thought you were, I hate you, I never want to talk to you again!!” and I ran off to find Laurent not even taking a glance back at how Trenton looked. I didn’t care he was mad at me for something I had no clue about. I found Laurent and told him what happened he hugged me and told me everything would be fine, that he would talk to Trenton and everything would be fine. Then I heard it. It was like a sickening ringing in my ear; the fire of a gunshot.
My stomach sank, my eyes got really wide and I ran, pushing people out of the way knocking people over just to find Trenton. Laurent was right behind me I pushed my way through the crowd and stopped. I looked down at the body lying on the floor; looked down at the blood seeping from my best friend’s body. I felt weak, faint, I threw myself down to the floor and started to cry. I took his hand in mine and cried. He turned his head then and faced me; he weakly raised his other arm and put his hand on my cheek. The music was off and more than a hundred eyes were watching us now; it was dead silent. “You look beautiful Jamie, I’m sorry I yelled at you.” He coughed on you and I started crying harder. “No don’t be sorry, I didn’t mean anything I said! Please hold on please!” “I just called 911, an ambulance is on their way.” Someone yelled but I could barely hear them. “Trenton, I never wanted to admit it but I did like you, I never wanted you to know though, I didn’t want to ruin the friendship we had! I’m sorry!!” he smiled weakly and put his hand on my hair. Then his arm fell. “NO!!” I screamed the paramedics came just then. They ripped his shirt off and tried to revive him. “Clear!” and his body jumped. They did it again but it was no use he was gone. Laurent picked me up from the ground…he held me close and I cried in his chest. I could feel that we were moving so I followed.

It’s been a week since the party, and they had already had the funeral. I stayed home and just sat in the darkness of my closet. I didn’t know what else to do…He was always the kind of person to forgive someone, he forgave too easily; but he forgave me. I couldn’t feel anything my mind was repeating the argument; flashes of Trenton’s face were still appearing in my mind. I finally got up. I walked to my laptop and went to Microsoft word. This is what I typed:

People don’t realize what they have ‘til it’s gone.
People say things they don’t mean.
People don’t stop and think
About what they say before they say it.
Unfortunately, I learned this the hard way.
I said words I could not take back.
Even though he forgave me
I still lost him.
And people need to keep what they have
Close.
Think before they speak.
Because the last thing you say to them
May be the last thing they ever hear.

The tears rolled down my face and I pressed the print button. It printed out; I folded it up and went down stairs. No one was home so I grabbed my Jacket from the closet and walked outside…I kept walking. I was still unsure if wanted to do this but I kept walking because something inside of me was telling me to keep walking.
I didn’t go to the funeral. I was too ashamed of what I said to him before he died. But that’s where I was headed, to the cemetery where Trenton Frye was buried. I got to the gates and slipped through them. I walked through the cemetery ‘til I found his tomb. I felt numb. I sank down to the ground and just stared at the name, the date. Trenton Frye 9/29/94-10/31/2011; a single tear fell and hit the freshly put down grass of the grave. I pulled out the folded piece of paper I dug just a small and deep enough hole and put the piece of paper in it. I covered it back up. I touched my fingers to my lips and then to the tomb, got up and walked away.

No comments:

Post a Comment